Monday, July 14, 2014

Like a telescope into the past

For a long time, the word perspective was one dimensional to me. I didn't think about it very much, or fully understand what it meant. But after bumping into it several times lately, I've realized that it builds our daily lives almost single-handedly.

Perspective is that lens you see the world through. Some people may use a lens that only sees what they want it to see. Other people may see everything clearly because they are able ignore their personal bias (their upbringing, experiences, education, etc.) Of course, I’d love to be that last person, but I don’t know if I’ll ever get there. And I don’t know how far I am along in the journey to get there. But I do know some stuff. Here we go.

I know that I don’t know much.

I know that we humans are often too short sighted to know where we are going next when we are in the midst of something. We don’t realize the relationships we are in the midst of building until they are noticeably complete.

An example: I have been friends with a kid since 5th grade. Casual friends; our conversation rarely scraping the surface. But suddenly this year, we became a lot closer. I wonder if every encounter since 5th grade has led up to this friendship, or if it is simply something that has shaped up recently because of circumstance.  But I do know that I wasn't thinking about every interaction with him as a building block of sorts, it’s only looking back now that I can imagine the progression.


How many great relationships am unknowingly building in my life right now?  Maybe the kid I sit next to in AP History will become my best friend senior year, or maybe he won’t. We know so little about the way the universe is spinning life into existence. But I know nearly nothing is a coincidence. As Sherlock Holmes once said, “the universe is rarely so lazy.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment