Saturday, June 28, 2014

Now that's a quote

“What’s the point of being alive if you don’t at least try to do something remarkable?” 
-John Green 

I found this quote swimming in the time-wasting sludge that is the internet and I’ve decided that I like it. When I saw it, I thought, “that’s what I want to do.” That’s what I’m going to do. But, unfortunately I had a massive realization.

I have done absolutely nothing extraordinary in my life.

Usually, I’m of the assumption that I am rather above all the idiots I feel I am surrounded by in most places I go. I’m constantly pondering what I need to be and what I need to do, and somehow that makes me feel like I am grander than everyone else.

But, the truth is, I have no idea what everyone around me is thinking. I can’t assume that what’s happening in my head, coming out of my mouth, or playing out on my face is anything more brilliant than those around me.

I began to wonder if I have ever done anything that would actually warrant my holier-than-thou outlook on the world. Okay…I sound like a total snob now. But, I don’t know if my recognizing my snotty-ness makes me more or less so. But that’s too much to think about.

Again, back to the point I was trying to make. What have I ever done that is extraordinary? Have I ever achieved anything that would actually set me apart from my peers in the real world? I’ve decided to take a glimpse at everything I’ve done and everything I considered an accomplishment.

None of the things I came up with have helped save a life or made one better. They were just certificates or publications that really only matter to me. And I don’t feel that it really falls into the category of “something remarkable”

How about you? Do you feel that you have done something remarkable in your life? Pursued something you had always dreamed of or created something wonderful?

And if not, why? And is doing the remarkable something you want to pursue?


Those are all the questions I’m asking myself, and trudging along trying to find answers to. It’s especially telling though, that all of these questions are yes or no, supposedly the simplest type of question, but they seem so gosh darn difficult. 

No comments:

Post a Comment