Sunday, February 9, 2014

"Do I know you?...." The Story of Celebrities

          Zac Efron. John Green. Nash Grier. Shailene Woodley. Oprah for goodness sake! The world is full of celebrities. Obviously not as many as there are normal people, but still, tons. And we idolize them, they are the faces on our t-shirts, the reason we spend hours on YouTube, you might even know that they wear argyle socks (as I happen to about John Green...it was in a YouTube video.) See?! I know tons of useless information  just from watching his videos, which, by the way, are brilliantly funny, sometime punny, and totally demonstrate why he could write such an amazing book. But the thing is, John Green doesn't even know I exist. He probably never will. Yet I sit there watching his videos and crying over his book. 
          Its a funny relationship really. We feel like we know a celebrity, invest time and money into seeing them, meeting them, and they forget us within a second. Not that its their fault, no body is at fault in this crazy loop. I'm just trying to understand how it works. How even though I know that the "relationship" doesn't even meet minimum requirements that say, being friends with a kid in math class would, I still feel like I'm friends with the collection of pixels on my computer screen. 
          I guess it's sort of humbling, to realize how infinitely tiny you are in just one man's fan base. Imagine how much of a speck you are compared to the rest of the world. Just goes back to not taking yourself too seriously. There's not much wrong with our whole celebrity system, as long as its still in perspective. Remember that we are not personally responsible when Justin Beiber ends up in jail, yet I can still find insane happiness in every episode of Sherlock (or anything featuring Benedict Cumberbatch). It's all in the balance, as always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment